Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Is it a Coat or a Bathrobe?

For the last month now I've been working on my entry into the Refashioners Contest.  This year the theme was suits and I decided that I was going to make a new winter coat.  Man that thing is a beast  I've been working on it on and off for weeks but never seem to get anywhere so every now and then I  stop and do a smaller project just to keep me going.


One such shorter project was this one - a  simple coat.  I've noticed in the last couple of years that during winter I am always wearing one of my ubiquitous fleeces.  They provide the warmth I need (yes I am a major frog - I hate being cold) whilst still being really comfortable.  But I hate always wearing the fleeces - its boring. And so last year I decided to try a few new coats that I could use instead that are a bit less boring than the fleeces.   My first attempt was my purple funnel neck coat.  I really like it, but I still want more options.

Then I was at the fabric store the other day and found this beautiful fabric.  I really love the way the wool is sewn onto the black background in patterns.  So pretty.


I have no idea what sort of fabric the backing is - I can't decide if it's a thick cotton or if its actually wool - but it doesn't really matter.  Whatever it is with all the thread from the embellishment it's seriously scratchy so I knew I was going to have to line it.

Now I just had to figure out what pattern to make.  I wanted a really basic shape that would let the fabric shine.

I trawled through my stash and found my print out of the Burda Style Bomber Jacket that I used to make my reversible satin bomber jacket.  When I looked at the pattern closely I realised that it had the raglan sleeves and simple neckline that I wanted and it had appropriate ease for a jacket so with a few minor modifications it would be perfect. 

I know - it looks nothing like a bomber jacket does it?



But it is - the changes I made were not really that significant.

I left off the bands at neckline, hem and cuff.
I extended the bottom of the coat 6 inches - flaring the pattern pieces out slightly at the bottom.. 
I extended the length of the arms by a couple of inches to account for the removed cuffs.
I made one slight adjustment to the pattern at the front neckline to make it a gentle curve into the front edge.
I left off the welt pockets (no way was I trying to do welts in that fabric) and sewed on patch pockets instead.


Fully lined the pattern in fleece, top stitching around the neckline and front edges.  I made the lining 1" shorter than the coat and then bagged the lining.



The fleece I used inside is just something I had in stock - green paisley, I figured it's not likely to be seen too much so it didn't really matter what I used.

I added a tie to keep it closed rather than the zipper.


Am still debating removing the tie and adding a couple of snaps instead. I'm not sure if the tie makes it look too much like a bathrobe.   I'll see how it goes once I get a chance to wear it.  As it is we've had a very warm October so far - well obviously I have two new coats I want to wear now and another on the way - now it will never get cold again!


But seriously I really like this coat - its so simple, yet so warm and snuggly - it really does feel like I'm wearing my bathrobe.




1 comment:

  1. That coat looks really cozy. Maybe it's a form of secret pajamas? ;)

    ReplyDelete